Friday 20 June 2008

Momentous Occurrences

So, yesterday was the first time I left Immy alone with her Dad for more than just a few minutes.  It was the first time, in fact, that I went out alone in a very long while.  And it necessitated the purchase and use of a breast pump.

Goodness me, they're weird contraptions!  It took me quite a while to get the hang of it.  And when I did, it was very bizarre indeed.  The noise it makes, and heaven knows why this surprised me, is EXACTLY like the sound of goat's or cow's milk hitting the pail.  And I mean, exactly.  I managed to get 6 1/2 fl. oz, which I'm told is not bad for a first attempt.  I must have been mangling it to start with, however, since I managed to make myself sore in the process!  But it does at least mean that I have the option of going out again at some point in the future.

And what was the occasion that set this all off, you ask?  My first cinema trip of the year to go and see Sex in the City with a friend and friend to be (I hope, anyway, since she seemed very nice).  I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the series.  Parts of it were very emotional, as per the series, really, I suppose.  But mostly it was funny and sweet and felt like just a long episode of the series.  Well worth going to see!

The only downside was that when I got home I found out that Immy had apparently been missing me so much that she cried non-stop from 9.15pm to 10.30pm and nothing would placate her.  I'm not sure whether it was helpful for Marc to tell me this or not because it was quite upsetting.  Although, I have to admit that a tiny part of me was a bit gratified since it's a bit difficult to tell if someone loves you if all they do is eat and sleep.  I mean, she does giggle and smile, but you don't know if that is because something is inherently amusing or if she genuinely enjoys your company.  Last night I realised that it was the latter.  Hopefully she will be less upset the next time I go out since she will now know that I am coming back!  Poor little mite.  Needless to say (so I'm going to say it!) she got lots and lots of hugs and seems contented enough now.  She is gurgling and examining her fingers as per usual!

3 comments:

Kniterella said...

Hi I got your blog through my Cast-On knitting club group in Ravelry. Sadly I'm too old to have any children and I'm not married..... yet. It must be nice to have them.

I have a cat child, she needs attention as well as any human child. She understands all I tell her. This morning I said, "Mrs Sally are you coming up on the bed." Quick as a flash she jumped up next to me flopped next to me on the bed, so I tickled her tum. She is very affectionate. Her husband Mr Chico was my very special little boy, he was my big Colourpoint Persian beautiful til the end, he sadly died nearly two years ago. I miss him very much, I can't bring meself to get another little boy like him. Mrs Sally his widow misses him too. they used to sit on the lawn or the garden bench like an old married couple and chat about things. they played chase up the street etc.....

Anyway I'd like to welcome you to my group hope you might like to enter a post or three. I hear from my friend Laurie lovesyarn that you are thiking of coming up to live here in this area. Hope you might like to pop into our Knitting club, its a lorra FUN. We love mint choc chip frapps.

Your Intrepid Blogger said...

Just yesterday my tiny little girl baby was gurgling and smiling and crying and drinking expressed breastmilk and everything just like you write about. Well, now she's 21, but it seems like just yesterday. Enjoy her! What a magic age.

Mousethief

Allie said...

Thank you, both. orysia, I would very much like to investigate your club just as soon as I get the chance. My fella has yet to get a job up there, but hopefully something will turn up soon.